Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Big Retreat This Past Weekend

Our quilt guild holds a retreat at the Judson Retreat Center twice a year.  The Winter one was this past weekend.  There were 23 people attending, I think.  Lots and lots of talent in that room!  So many lovely quilt designs!

I got 4 of my UFOs done up to the top stage.  Now my To Be Quilted pile is higher than before.  One day...

This one is from a pattern called Circle Dance.  The pattern comes on the package with the Drunkard's Path rulers.  I had all the blocks done and several of the rows sewn together before I got there, so I only had to complete 3 more rows and sew them on.  Then I ran a stay stitch around the outside to keep it all together until I get it quilted.  It was fun, and I do love how it came out, but I don't think I'll be doing any more curves anytime soon.  Stressful!

Next, I put the borders on my cruise quilt.  There was limited space on the cruise and borders are easier to do with lots more space to lay the quilt out and measure and such.  I do love the quilt with all of the bright Caribbean colors.  It'll be a nice memento of the trip.

Next, I worked on my Bonnie Hunter Mystery.  I had all of the pieces and the blocks and even had 3 rows sewn together before I got there.  This is one BIG quilt and with all of the pieces and all of the seams, it is heavy already.  It measure about 88 inches by 88 inches.  When I was working on it, I was worried about all of the loud colors that did not appear to go together, but once it was all assembled, it just worked.

And next, I worked on this sample for the quilt shop where I work.  I love this pattern.  Lots of the ladies at the retreat were writing down the name of the pattern (Radiant) so that they could get it for themselves.  I heard musings about shades of green and somebody else was thinking purple.
I spent Saturday afternoon in bed with a bad headache, but I was done with all of the projects I brought to finish, so on Sunday, I had to dig into my contingency fabric.  Yep, I brought along a roll of batiks, just in case I ran out of projects.  Had no special plans as to what to do with them, but sure was a good thing I brought them.  I decided to make another quilt like my cruise quilt only with radically different fabric.  I made 50 blocks and they will be ready for my next retreat.  Mom loves to lay them out and switch them around until they are just right.  I'll let her do that on our coming retreat and then I will be ready to sew them together.  I show pictures then.

There were many wonderful quilts, pillowcases, thread catchers, and even a Roman shade.  Here are a few of them......










1 comment:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

It was a great weekend. I'll have to remember NOT to wear my glasses like that! LOL