Saturday, August 18, 2012

108 Quilts & Do you keep track?

Do you keep track of your UFOs (unfinished objects) or WIPs (works in progress)?  

For the longest time, I didn't really track anything.  Quilts in various stages of completion were just in different places around my sewing room and I had no idea how many there were.  Then our quilt guild started a UFO Challenge.  At the beginning of the year, each participant would make a list of UFOs and what stage of completion they'd like to reach by the end of the year.  After that I started trying to keep track of things more.  I tried doing it on my calendar.  I tried creating a To Do List. Each process had its pros and cons, but none of them was really perfect.  

In the end, I went "old school".  I have a bulletin board on the wall in my sewing room.  I have labeled areas for different stages of the quilt.  Each quilt is on a small piece of paper and I can move it from one area to another as I go from one stage to another.  Like I said, it's "old school", but it works for me.  It's all in one place where I can see it at a glance.  It makes it easy to see what needs doing at any particular time so it helps keep me on track.


So, do you keep track?  What is your process?

I also have a spreadsheet of all the quilts I have made.  The most recent one I finished, a green snail's trail, was the 108th quilt that I have quilted.  That includes 48 of my own and 60 that I have done for others.  What a shock!  If I didn't have a spreadsheet, I would never have believed it!  

No comments: