Sunday, July 8, 2012

Finally Have a Plan

I've been procrastinating for weeks and months.  I haven't started on my Paint Chip Challenge Quilt before now because I could not decide on a pattern to use.  The colors of my paint chips lead to a baby quilt.  I wanted something rather simple, but not the same old same old, if you know what I mean.  

I saw a write-up called "Chopping Block" in QuiltMaker Magazine of Mar/Apr 2012.  It talked about several blocks which can be constructed and then sliced up and rearranged to make new blocks.  I decided to go with the Chopped Up Grecian Design Block.

This is the Grecian Design Block as originally constructed.

The block is then cut down the middle up and down and then down the middle side to side.  The top right  and bottom left portions are turned 90 degrees counter-clockwise and then the parts of the block are sewn together again, as seen below.  The surprise is that once you turn the blocks and attempt to sew them back together, you will see that the seams on the little pink squares do not line up.  They are off by 1/4 of an inch.  This is as it should be, but it is hard to get used to, when one is used to trying to be very particular about matching seams.

After making all the blocks, they can be put together to form the quilt shown below. 

Well, anyway, that's my plan.

No comments: