Monday, January 16, 2012

Retreat was a success!

I've been sooo looking forward to this quilting retreat.  I have been having trouble getting motivated and I have not sewn since back about Thanksgiving.  I was glad to be coming on this retreat so that I would be locked here in the house with a bunch of my quilty girls and my sewing machine and I would have no choice.  

Friday, it took me a while to get started.  I kept procrastinating.  I had dinner to cook so it was easy for me to make excuses.  I did actually get borders on a quilt for Norma.  I only put on 2 of the 3 borders that were intended, but I decided that two was enough.  I was just tired of working on that quilt.

Saturday morning, we made a quick trip out to Daisy's Cottage Creations.  Several of our group had never been there.  They'll be going back!  After lunch I had an appointment to get my nails done.  I don't really like to leave in the middle, but it was the only time I could get an appointment.  Saturday afternoon, I broke out some batiks that I like and made up a pattern to make for Shannon.  I owe her a quilt.  She's the last one in the family and I missed her birthday.  She got an IOU in her birthday card.  It was a Bento Box.  I got it cut and all the strip sets sewn together.  Sunday, I got the blocks sewn, layed out and then got the rows sewn together.  We popped out to Albasha's for some greek food.  After so much grazing on junk food, it was nice to have a more structured meal and something that was very different than what we'd been having. 

Monday morning,  I got all the rows sewn into a top.  I have some fabric at home that I think will make a beautiful border.  I hope it'll go with this quilt.  If not, I'll find something.  Next, I broke out some fabric that needed to be cut.  I bought the kit at Mama's Quilt Shop on sale after Christmas.  I wish I'd had the opportunity to read the pattern before I bought it.  It was a Snail's Trail and I loved the fabrics.  I always wanted to make a Snail's Trail.  Then I opened the pattern and found that I had to cut pieces that were 6-7/8", 5-1/4", 3-7/8", 2-5/8".  Aaaahhhhhh! 

When I wasn't working on my stuff, I helped Mom with the layout on her quilt.  It had tiny pieces and was hard to keep straight.  It was a small landscape made out of 1-1/2 or 2 inch blocks.  Not me, honey!

I also helped Sarah.  Poor thing.  She had these paper pieced log cabins that she's been working on (or not) for the the past 4 years.  She hated the quilt and she hated the fabrics, as well, but it was a wedding gift for her daughter (a few years late).  I kept cracking the whip to keep her going.  She got the last 6 blocks completed and then we decided on a layout and she got all the blocks together.  After that she had to break out the Ben and Jerry's.  She deserved every bite of it.  And the quilt is gorgeous to boot!

Tai had never done a bargello quilt and wasn't really sure of the best way to do it, but she was adventurous.  We all collaborated and contributed ideas.  It came out sooooo cute!  She has a good eye for fabric.

Karen was working on the borders for Judy Laquidara's Connect the Dots.  There are seven, count 'em seven, borders on that quilt and one of them is a pieced border.  It took her most of the retreat just doing borders on that quilt.  She's keeping that quilt, and I don't blame her.

Jackie was trying quilting on her domestic machine for the first time on a pretty big quilt.  She was very hesitant, but she persevered and she learned a lot on this quilt.

All in all, a good time was had by all.

1 comment:

Cats and Quilts said...

I am intrigued... what did Sarah not like about her Log Cabin?.... it is GORGEOUS!