Sunday, May 11, 2014

Annual Canoe Trip

Yesterday was the annual canoe trip with the kids from the McMains Developmental Center. For a while there, we were really worried that it would be rained out.  The weather radar was really ominous, but things blew on through early and a window of opportunity opened up so that we were able to proceed.

We all had a wonderful time as usual.  Especially the kids. The smiles on their faces were worth all the effort. I spent 2 hours loading people into canoes and catching them when they came back in, making sure the life jackets were on correctly and that everybody had a paddle, etc.  I was having so much fun that I never took a single picture.  Mental pictures will have to do.  

Toward the end, I took out a canoe with a woman and her son.  We were one of the last 3 or 4 canoes and it was really peaceful down Gum Bayou at that hour.  

Afterward, I had a bowl of jambalaya and then I headed back to town to return to my quilt retreat.  Why choose between the two activities when you can do both!

Here are a few pictures from years past:







No comments: