I drew up the quilt in EQ the way she had constructed it. Then I made printouts and I drew on them until I came up with a design I liked and then I drew it a few more times so I could figure out the path to make it all one continuous design.
Then came the moment of truth. I really had to gear myself up to take that first stitch but then after that it just flowed along. Now, I did make mistakes and I did forget my path a couple of times, but it all worked out. I even did piano keys in the border. This is also the first time I did the middle of the quilt and came back for the borders. The overall effect is nice. Next time I feel like playing, I'm going to make sure there is not a plain white back on the quilt, but oh well. I sent her pictures and she is thrilled. I hope she likes it when she gets it up close.
I don't know how much you can actually see here, but you'll get the idea.
Oh yeah. I forgot. I took these pictures before I hid the threads (I was excited!), so if you see any of them, know that I did go back and hide those babies.