Friday, November 30, 2012

I sewed!

Oh my gosh!  I got some sewing done.  It's been so long that it was almost a struggle to get started, but once I did, I was off and running.  

I got these baseball jerseys shortly after Christmas last year.  Yes, I said jerseys.  Aaaaaah!  What they heck do you do with those?  I kept procrastinating because I really had no idea what to do with these stretchy weird fabrics.  I think one was even spandex.  Quilts are supposed to be made of cotton, aren't they?  

A month ago a dear friend met with me and gave me a short lesson and a set of instructions on what interfacing to use and what setting to use on the iron and made sure that I used parchment paper or something, so those vinyl(?) numbers didn't get sticky and come off.  I was holding my breath and crossing my fingers the whole time.  It was very nerve wracking, but once again, once I got going, things seemed to work out okay.  I got most of those blocks made and then they just

Here's what I accomplished on Sunday.  I finally came up with an idea for what to put in the four corners.  I cut and sewed those blocks and then sewed all the blocks together into a top.  Yeah, progress!  I was going to put a red border, but then realized that the red in the border would bump up against the red in the frames around the numbers.  Argh!  So, I decided I was going to need to put an extra grey border to buffer that area.  Then it was suggested to me that I could possibly only add those grey borders on the sides, since the top and bottom really didn't need it.  Nice compromise.  Grey strips added, red border on.  I was running out of steam, but there was an inner voice screaming at me urging me on "Push through. Push through.  You're just one baseball border away from having a finished quilt top!"  
Tada!!!


Now, I just have to make a back and get that sucker quilted......

No comments: