Sunday, September 30, 2012

Best Laid Plans

We took a quick trip out of town to Decatur, AL for a National Fishing Lure Collectors Show.  It was to be a quilting retreat for me in a nice hotel.  I brought my sewing machine and my projects and I was ready to sew those few days away.  Well, that was the plan anyway.

We got there and I set my sewing machine up on the desk only to find that the chair was not as adjustable as it could have been and I am not too good at sewing with the needle practically level with my eyes.  I thought I was totally out of luck and then I had a brilliant idea.  I'd use the ironing board.  It's adjustable.  I was able to get it to the right height and I just had to brace it against the desk to make sure it was stable enough.  Then I was ready to sew.

Got my bobbins all wound and got out the pieces of my Christmas Star. I was finally going to sew it all together.  I first had to read through the pattern and see what step came first and if there were specific hints and tips about how to do this Y seam business.  I started reading and then I realized that I didn't bring something very important - the next color in the pattern.  I was able to sew the star itself together, but not the feathers (or the teeth as I like to call them), because they are actually sewn onto the next color and then attached to the star.  I didn't bring the next color.  Heck, I haven't even decided on what the next color will be.  Oh well, I did get the star sewn together at least.

The next morning, I decided I'd go out to the local quilt star and enlist the help of the lovely proprietor to assist me in choosing the next color so I could progress along.  I remembered her as being very kind and helpful, so off I went.  Another problem.  She's not there anymore!  Not just her, the whole store has been replaced by an entirely different store.  Aaaaahhhhhhh!  I was not meant to do this on this trip I guess.

I read 3 books (at least) while we were there, so I guess it wasn't a total loss.  And I got to watch a few of the new shows coming out on television and one pretty good movie.

Next time, I'll have to plan better.

1 comment:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Oh man!!! What a weekend.

glen.