Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Retirement is on the Horizon

I've been stressing and stressing over what to do about converting my time to qualify for retirement.  I was concerned about whether this was in my best interests.  I tried making a list of pros and cons.  Of course the "pros" list was really easy, because that's what I want.  The "cons" list was a lot harder, because I didn't really want to acknowledge them at all.  I've been to Human Resources to ask questions.  I've spoken to LASERS to get some answers.  I've stressed and stressed!

Today, I finally discussed it with DBF.  Why, you ask, did I not do this before now?  Well, to be honest, I had to decide what I really wanted and what I really thought, before getting into that conversation.  I thought it would be a difficult one, but it was not.  When I brought it up, he immediately told me to "do it.  It's a no-brainer."

If I go ahead and convert my air time to real years of service, then I'll be eligible to retire and walk away in January of 2013.  But I'll also have the option to just enter DROP in January of 2013, which would allow me to make my money back and then some if I work 9 more months while still maintaining the ability to walk away whenever I want to.  And even better, when the legislature brings up the retirement bills again, I would be beyond it.

I have been on the smallest blood pressure pills now for the past 2 years or so.  I know that part of the reason for that is stress from work.  Crazy thing happened to me yesterday.  I went to the blood drive yesterday and when they took my blood pressure, it was 120/50.  Yes, you heard right.  50!  I said to the poor girl "oh no honey, you need to do it again."  She took it again and guess what? It was 120/50.  Amazing what it can do for your stress level (and your blood pressure) when you start to realize that you might be able to retire soon.  That's another PRO to the list, don't you think?

1 comment:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I'll,play with you when you retire!!!

glen