Friday, December 2, 2011

A Promise Brings New Perspective


My friend Norma was diagnosed with lung cancer last November and she immediately felt a panic to rush to start and complete several projects for her loved ones. I promised her then that she didn't have to worry about it, that whatever she did not have time to do, I would make sure that it got done. Little did I know what that actuallly entailed.


When her health really began to decline in September and October of this year, I began to work dilligently to help her finish some priority items. I consulted with her on what thread to use and what pattern to quilt and which backing fabrics looked best so she was still able to feel a part of the process and also to make the decisions that would make the quilts "hers". 


Before Norma passed away in November, I was able to completed the two new bedspreads for two of her grandchildren, an old Dresden Plate top and four baby quilts for her grandchildren to put away for their first born children.  I was even privileged to be there when she presented the finished quilts to each of her loved ones.

After she passed, I assisted her daughter in going through her stash. In the course of doing that we found 14 more UFOs. So far, I have completed a total of 15 quilts and there are 6 remaining.  I'm still trudging through and I WILL get them done, eventually.

The whole process has opened my eyes to the number of UFOs in my own stash.  I think that I need to make a New Year's resolution for 2012
  • to finish what I start
  • to reduce the number of UFOs
  • and to "use" my stash.
I've never been much for New Year's resolutions, but maybe this is the year to start.....

No comments: